Eastmont School District Goes On Modified Lockdown Due to Social Media Threat
The Eastmont School District temporarily placed schools on a modified lockdown Monday morning following a threat that circulated on social media. The threat, which showed a photo of a handgun and a message that at 10:00 a.m. students were going to come and shoot people, was later determined not to be credible. The modified lockdown lasted less than 30 minutes.
According to Superintendent Becky Berg, the district was alerted to the threat on a Facebook group page. Neither the Eastmont School District nor any individual school was specified in the threat. Berg said the district has been in contact with the East Wenatchee Police Department, school resource officers, and the Wenatchee School District.
Threat Circulates on Social Media
In a modified lockdown, instruction continues as normal, but recess is held inside and movement outside of the building is restricted. The post appears to be recirculated from a threat in Florida two years ago. Berg said that if a student is responsible for the post, law enforcement will be involved.
Last week, Eastmont was one of 35 school districts to receive a threat that was also determined not to be credible. The district outlined the safety procedures it takes, which include screening staff and volunteers through background checks, emergency planning and building relationships with students and families, and working with law enforcement and other local officials.